Thursday, November 3, 2011

Blog Post #11

Ms. Cassidy's Class

     My first grade teacher was Miss Mahony. I knew her only one year my life, yet she sticks out in my memory like a friend I have had for years. I remember that I had a blast in her class and if there was a way to compare, I would argue I learned more in that year than many years since. I really did enjoy watching Ms. Cassidy's skype interview, she seems like a very qualified teacher with a great sense of compassion about her. I also admire her for her classroom techniques involving technology in the classroom. It really is neat how kids as young as five are writing their own blogs, when someone as old as myself just learned how to make one a few weeks ago. I also agree that her teaching technique is really helping the kids evolve with how the world is evolving. I know technology is growing way too much for me to keep up with. So yes, I believe that Ms. Cassidy is preparing her students for the world they are growing up in, however, Miss Mahony did that, as well as prepare me for the world I am growing up with.
      I remember Ms. Mahony because she was in the classroom talking to me, face to face, the whole day. We sat on the rug and guessed how many jelly beans were in the jar, not in front of a computer using the internet. We were always mixed in with our friends/crushes/ or even guys we did not like being social and making eye contact, not side by side looking at screen. I would argue that if our kids start their schooling career with the internet shoved in their face... no one will be friends. Well, it probably would not be that bad, but I am positive we would not have near the amount of quality relationships in the world. The internet may be bringing the world together, but I do not know how much good it is doing for the neighborhood. People are losing the ability to have relaxed conversation, people are talking to people across the world when they have someone in front of them, and they sit inside all day when it is very sunny outside. When kids are in kindergarten they need to learn how to make friends, play sports, and learn from a teacher.
     I think Ms. Cassidy is a fantastic teacher, and I admire her greatly.I just think that kids need to get away from the computer more. I have a little cousin named Ethan who is eight. He is always on the computer and really does not see the need to hang out with his cousins or family really all that much. Kids have their whole life to learn about the computer, I think they need a break from it at the start.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post today! I agree with you on so many levels! I, too, believe that kids should interact more when they are younger and learn to form relationships with friends around them. My children are an example of the opposite of what Ms. Cassidy talked about. They could care less about the computer on the weekends. They focus their time on being outside with their pets and cousins! I grew up with cousins that lived 3 houses down from me, so we were always hanging out. It's good for children to learn and grow with kids their own age, who are right there with them! I do think that technology is good for them, but later on, Maybe in middle school and up. The occasional use in the classroom, learning how to navigate is great, too. But, I really do agree with all the points you made! I, also, had a very memorable teacher,when I was in 3rd grade. I still remember so much of what she taught me, and still speak to her today! Great post!! I enjoyed it very much! So inspiring to know that other students here share some of my views!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith,

    You have an interesting argument here about kids and the computer and I do agree with you to some extent. However, I think there should be a happy medium between socializing and playing versus blogging and doing computer research. You are absolutely right in saying that kids may lose touch with reality if they spend tremendous amounts of time on the computer. Good job on bringing an interesting view to this blog assignment.


    Tip: Be sure to proof read your post before actually posting it! I noticed some sentences that do not fully make sense or could have been more clearly written. Example: “I also agree that her teaching technique is really helping the kids evolve with how the world is evolving.” Maybe say something like, “I also agree that her teaching technique is really helping the kids keep up with the ever-changing world.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on your post. I liked how you reflected back to your own experience with a teacher to make your comments relavent. I also enjoyed the comment that you made about how the world is evolving. I agree that the world around us is changing every day and we must "evolve" to stay current.

    Another point that you made is that there should be a limit to how much technology we should use on a daily basis. We can let anything take up our time. Sometimes we let TV, video games, and even eating take up a good majority of our lives. Is it really so bad for a kid to learn how to use a computer at an early age? Their computer usage is easier to controle and it is very educational.

    Even with all of the positive things that technology can give us, you are still right about how we can overdo it. We must fine a happy medium.

    ReplyDelete