Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Blog Post #13

My Teacher As An App

After reading this article I would argue that online classes are really not an improvement on the education world. I have taken a whole year of online classes, that is 36 hours and 12 classes on my plate. As I am writing this blog now, I can tell anyone who is reading that I did not learn very much in this year. I went to West Florida for a year to play soccer, and living in Mobile I had to take all online classes. I finished my year with eleven A's and one B. But if anyone were to quiz me on what any of the classes I was apart of I would not have a clue what to tell them.
Teachers teach. Students go to school. Online classes can not measure up. Even in this class right now, there is not much I am gaining from it. I would argue however, if we met three times a week in a classroom setting with a teacher I would be able to sing a different song. "Now, thanks to the videos she's been watching on ancient Egypt, she loves it" I would tell this girl to get over it, classes get boring just like every other aspect of life, but we must cope with it. Students need to learn from teachers, not computer screens.

3 comments:

  1. Keith,

    I definitely agree that human interaction will help students be successful. But, this topic is very interesting and I think it will become more and more relevant as time goes on. So although you may take an anti-virtual class stand, this issue is not going to go away. How would you deal with it if you had to teach online classes only? Part of being a teacher is learning to go with the flow and adapting to new issues and problems and never, ever refusing to try something new because the old way works. Even if the old way works, there still could be a better way of doing something. (This is something I learned from taking EDM 310.) For example, if I wanted to open a can of soup, I could get scissors and stab holes in the can and cut a jagged circle on the top. This would get the can open, but it would make much more sense for me to use a can opener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Keith,
    I definitely agree with you about the online classes. I have taken three online class in the past, and I did not learn a single thing. If I have to take one in the future, I do not know what I would do. They are great for some people, but it definitely isn't a good idea for me to take online classes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the said field. We all have our preferences, and it's best we should respect it.

    free online college degrees

    ReplyDelete