Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blog Post #7

After watching the Randy Pausch's video I would argue that he is a pretty brilliant man. Throughout his video we see a man who believes in inspiring his students and teaching them methods that not only are useful for the classroom, but for real life as well. He is a very selfless man who really goes out of his way to help others.
At one point in the video, I heard him talking about a football coach who told him that once everyone stops helping you, they stop caring. I completely agree with this and hope that we have better teachers and care givers out there that do not let the situation get this bad. I have screwed up a few more than several times in my life and I am very grateful that my parents, teachers, and youth pastors never gave up on me.
When Randy Pausch really dedicated himself to teaching, he did it all the way. He came up with the Brick Wall Theory. This consisted of a wall in an individuals path. The individual has the choice to either charge at the wall and get by it in hopes of living out his/her life, or hitting the wall and falling down, never achieving anything. I feel like I have conquered many brick wall throughout my life, however, I know I have many more still to climb.
Lastly, I really admire Randy Pausch's passion for fun in his workplace. He knows that in order for kids to want to learn they must have fun. He brings laughter and joy to the classroom so the kids do not have to strain to concentrate, instead they just let the learning come to them.
All in all Randy Pausch is a quality guy.

2 comments:

  1. Keith,

    This is a very good post. You obviously understood the assignment. I completely agree that Randy Pausch was an incredibly brilliant and inspirational man. In his lecture, he is well-spoken and engaging as he talks to the audience about methods of teaching. One of the methods he mentions is the value of critique, which you have covered in your post. I also agree that those who give you feedback are the people who care, because those are the people who are trying to help you improve your work and yourself as a person. I am glad that you have had your parents, teachers, and youth pastors to help you out along the way in your life. Every person should have someone to support and push them to excel. I believe that it is important for teachers to push their students to always strive for excellence. If a teacher ignores that a problem exists, the problem will never be fixed. Teachers are supposed to teach their class ways to improve their work, and by not saying anything the teacher hinders any chance the class has to improve.

    I do have one suggestion. I like the picture that you included at the bottom of your post, but keep in mind that we are supposed to add the proper ALT and TITLE modifiers to any image we use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He came up with the Brick Wall Theory." I doubt that this is original but it may be. It certainly is not a theory. It is a metaphor.

    Your writing is very informal. Maybe too informal.

    ReplyDelete