Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Blog #3



#2
After reading Kelly Hines It's Not About Technology, I discovered that I underestimated what it really takes to become a teacher in a modern classroom. When she goes through the four majors points she wants to touch on I gathered that the information was very helpful. I would argue that her number one point, Teachers must be learners, is probably the best point out of the whole section. I really think that teachers must be learners in order to progress and help the students progress as well.
I also agree with her when she says technology is useless without good teaching. I believe I am actually less of technology lover than most, so incorporating that into my teaching strategy is going to be difficult. I feel like I am completely turned away from technology in the classroom. I miss the learning that took place in class and homework done at night. I am sad that we have to go home now and get online to learn about our class. However, with the times changing and everything evolving, I know that this objective is necessary in order for students to really have a chance in the real world.
#3
After reading Is It Okay To Be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher I became aware that the author was a very grateful yet, confident person who has enjoyed his life in the blog world. When he first asked this question I was quick to say "absolutely not" and after reading it I would argue that it really depends. If you are teaching a computer class, then I would say "yes, the teacher needs to know how to use one. I also believe that teachers can be completely fine with only knowing a few things about technology.
So when this author says in number five, "school inspectors who are technologically illiterate should be encouraged to find alternative employment" I would argue that he is being a little to hasty. On the other hand, in number seven when he says, "we should stop being so nice." I agree that schools can be a little lenient with their students.
#4
Through Garys Social Media Count I learned that there were a lot of changes and advances in the world happening all around. The largest number on the screen is the number of items shared on facebook. I really do not see how these apply to my professional career as a teacher, however, I would argue that it means technology is never going to stop evolving. Which also means we must continue to incorporate it into the classroom.
I would not argue that I am against all the Medea and computer related things in the classroom today, but I simply believe that teachers could complete the class with high standards without that knowledge.
5.
After watching the video A Vision of Student Today, I realized that the video was way too depressing. I think all of the students all have regular every day problems that are faced by everyone. These signs were not very effective to me, I just felt like those are things that either you need to fix yourself or not worry about. Technology is not going to fix any of this in my opinion.
I would argue that technology is a very useful and fun invention, but the key to all worlds problems, it is not. The world survived forever without it, we could do it again. These students should be happy they are in school and healthy. The only sign I agree to be somewhat lame is $ on textbooks. I just think that it should not cost that much extra for a student to learn when they are already paying to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Keith, you made some really point in all of the video clip comments. I do agree with Mrs. Hines that all teachers must be learners. Teachers who want to be truly successful must be voracious and self-motivated in their pursuit of evolving understanding. I like what you said about technology is useless without good teaching, and you are so true. It would be hard to tell someone else to do something if you never don it yourself.
    The third video was a little different. I still agree with you when you say that same teachers do not really need to be technology literate. It all just depends on what class is being though. You said yes you need to be literate if the teacher was teaching a computer class, but not so much in other classes. Also it is hard to have expensive technology in classrooms if the budget is really low.
    In the video Social Media, it is amazing to see how so many people use technology every single day, and I agree with you when you say facebook does not apply to the professional world of teaching. I do not blame you for saying that. I said the same thing. I feel that in most cases technology can really be useless if it is not used for the right reasons.
    The last video, A Vision of Students Today was very sad. Sad to see how most students spend their time in class. Do you think Technology can save us? What do you think will happen if all the technology in the world disappeared?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am sad that we have to go home now and get online to learn about our class. " Sad? Really? Why does this make you sad?

    " I also believe that teachers can be completely fine with only knowing a few things about technology. " No kidding!

    "So when this author says in number five, "school inspectors who are technologically illiterate should be encouraged to find alternative employment" I would argue that he is being a little to hasty." Too hasty? With all the changes that are taking place as shown in Hayes' media counter?

    "Through Garys Social Media Count I learned that there were a lot of changes and advances in the world happening all around. The largest number on the screen is the number of items shared on facebook. I really do not see how these apply to my professional career as a teacher, however, I would argue that it means technology is never going to stop evolving. Which also means we must continue to incorporate it into the classroom.
    I would not argue that I am against all the Medea and computer related things in the classroom today, but I simply believe that teachers could complete the class with high standards without that knowledge." If I understand you correctly, you think teachers can successfully teach kids who deeply embedded into a technological culture without being a part of that culture itself. I certainly do not agree with you. And if i were a principal I would not hire a new teacher who had not mastered the technological culture of the students. We shall see who is correct.

    " The world survived forever without it, we could do it again." Is that your choice? recommendation?

    Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete