Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Blog Post #5

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff, Please?
After reading this poem I learned that Scott McLeod is a very sarcastic man. He is joking at the fact that some people believe it is wrong for parents to educate their kids in the modern inventions and electronic resources we now have present. He ends his section by saying that he is teaching his kids how to use all of these objects, such as phone,  internet, and others. I somewhat agree that kids with this knowledge may be more intellectually ahead of other kids that lack that experience, however, I am also one to argue that it is not as important as he says it is. I protest that spending time on the computer can be harmful, people need to get out and make connections that are real and not just online. I probably will never know nearly enough about this computer in front of me but I truly believe I will be alright without it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68KgAcx_9jU
This video was really well put together. I would also argue that this student really did his research before making this project. It was well thought out and had a lot of solid substance to it. He was arguing in this video that all the work done in school involving: communicating, taking notes, emailing, lectures, etc. can be done using this little mobile Iphone. I would argue strongly with him that this is not true. If you have ever seen I Robot with Will Smith, I am kind of like him. I start out with a not so high opinion of computers and their purposes, however, I have learned that they can be useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06YOePeUx4o
In this video we have another presentation about how mobile networking is the Way To Go. The argument I have with is this is that I really do not enjoy mobile or online learning. I do not really care for going home and doing all this work online, I believe that schools are put into a affect and specific times during the day so we should keep that schedule and work in person. I am all for this class and hope that it does increase my mobile networking skills.
http://techliterateteacher.blogspot.com/2010/05/eric-whitakers-virtual-choir-lux.html

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir - 'Lux Aurumque'

When I viewed this video I was really blown away with all the different people from around the world it involved. With the use of the internet this producer was able to bring together voices that otherwise would have never been heard. He was able to make a virtual harmony that was a  quality sound to listen to. I also enjoyed use of space in the video where the objects were moving about from section to section, fading in and out. The post that goes along with it is very useful and enhances the video in my opinion. 



3 comments:

  1. " I probably will never know nearly enough about this computer in front of me but I truly believe I will be alright without it." Maybe if you just want to play soccer or other sports, be a beachcomber, hang around with kids (you could be a babysitter and skip all this school stuff), be a lifeguard, you can get along without it. I am not sure how you will support yourself. Maybe you will inherit a lot of money or live on a shoestring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is Dr. McLeod? You didn't address that question which was part of the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You expressed your thoughts pretty well.
    PS. Fix your links.

    ReplyDelete