Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Blog Post #2

Did You Know?!?!

       This video prepared by Dr. Strange is one that I'm sure has opened the eyes and minds of students through the years past. I would have to agree that the video does reveal some shocking facts, like how there are so many kids in India. I also thought the information on Youtube and all of their uploads that are happening every milli-second were interesting tidbits.
       When the video asks me "did you know?!?" I would l have to answer that question with "no" to nearly every fact. However, when I reflect on the answers I must say I feel indifferent. I appreciate this new knowledge, and believe I actually am ready to be an Educator, (if ya include the rest of my schooling probably). I also support all the crowds in India, makes driving hectic.



Oh Mr. Winkles!

     After watching Mr. Winkles my thoughts would include a few points. If I were Mr. Winkles waking up from a very very long slumber, in  a big city like that, I would find a hot dog vendor and absolutely chow down. I also though this movie was interesting because it shows how the world really has come to change. Technology is a never ending project, hopefully I will never have to contribute to it's advancement too much, but it is definitely always on the rise.
     I thought it was neat how it showed the schools at the end remaining familiar to Mr. Winkles. He remembered the desks, and the lessons, really taking him back. However, classes have changed a great deal with the use of computers. Younger grades are  incorporating computers into the classroom earlier and earlier. It is almost to the point where it is too young in my opinion to give out computers. One of the things I look    forward to is standing in front of my little class and being energetic and enthusiastic about my lessons. It's definitely a cool video, reminds me of the spoons dude.

Killin the Creativity 

     Ken Robinson is a very comical speaker that had me chuckling a few times in front of my computer. My favorite line was the one about the little girl, her teacher, and Jesus. I enjoy what he says  when he talks about schools preparing us for our unreachable future. Questioning how they can prepare us for 65 years into the future when nobody knows what will happen in  five.
     Ken Robinson talks about when students grow up they are discouraged to participate in music or sports because it is not  in their future. However, Mr. Robinson  believes that teachers should not act in these ways. "Creativity is the process of having original ideas that have value" I would argue people show this everyday, and I very much enjoyed this video.

The Very Bias Classroom 

     After viewing these videos and answering the questions, this is what I have ended up deciding. I would think that the easy choice to which class I would take would be the more technology filled one. There was so much interaction and communication, even with the easel in the other video I would argue this class comes out on top. I can't really say either of those classes were representations of classes I have taken in the past. One was too over the top crazy and the other extremely slow.
     The differences between the two teachers is simply the enthusiasm and the technology. The teacher with both of these traits easily conquers the quest for better teacher. Much like the answer before, this one is clear. The items in the fun class were more on a reality level rather than just boring facts. I would have to say that when I become a teacher I will steal traits from both of these videos. From the "fun" one I would take his enthusiasm, and from the other I would take his easel. In order to become a better teacher I just need the experience that comes with it.

3 comments:

  1. In your Mr. Winkles post I agree that the world is changing and technology keeps getting more and more advanced. However, while schools do have computers, there are not really many classes that center around the technology or try and incorporate it as much as possible. Our world relies so much on technology and I think everyone should start getting exposed to it as young as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may feel "indifferent" but you are certainly outnumbered!

    At what age is it "... too young ... to give out computers."

    Interesting. I guess you will be the "creative, off-the-wall teacher." Am I correct?

    Why the easel? My curiosity has been aroused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that I am extremely outnumbered in my beliefs, but that is not to say I will give up my views easily. I will admit that with the last assignment dealing with technology and special ed I was quite moved. The reason I argue that there is too young of an age to start them on computers is because children have an addictive nature and if you put them on a computer early enough, that is all they will want to do. My cousin is 5 and never wants to leave the computer. At that age the children need to be with other children, outside, enjoying their first few years of life and innocence.. NOT on a computer. I will definitely be the off the wall creative teacher... With an easel at the front of the class.

      Delete