Sunday, June 24, 2012

Blog Post #7

Why does the Networked Student even need a Teacher?! 

     I enjoyed watching the video, the way it was interpreted by little drawings being moved around seemed fun. But why does the networked student even need a teacher? To answer this question I would have to argue that he/she really doesn't. The way that all of these views are shaping depict a world without teachers and less real, physical friendships. The teachers they are referring to, look to me, like nothing more than experiences mentors that have professionally mastered the use of the internet. Why even give them the title as teacher? I do not want to "bump" their whole idea because I can easily see that it is a great one that really allows oneself to get connected with the world and earn a certain status that would never be able to be achieved without the use of internet. I can also see that if a student were to be able to conquer the art of being a Networked Student that he/she would have a one up on all the rest. However, I also would strongly argue that a student with persistence, motivation, and a good personality can accomplish all of this without touching a computer.
     When it asks the question, "what does the networked student even need a teacher?" the answer given includes reasons such as, "Learning Architect, Modeler, Learning Concierge, Network Sherpa, Change Agent, Synthesizer, and Connected Learning Incubator." This student is in a Contemporary Issues Class. I feel that their are other issues that would be talked about rather than going out and making connections in the world. I understand that all of these methods are helping him further his career and find out information, but we also have books and teachers for that.
     If I were to take a class called Contemporary Issues I would think we would be watching the news and trying to formulate our own opinions on matters. I understand the more knowledgeable you are the more backbone your own opinion holds but I would strongly argue that you need to use more social means, and not social means electronically, but social means like talking face to face. I agree that the networked student is a quality one to be, but I would back a student who feels that the internet is not needed to accomplish the goals in life and "change the world." Thank you for your post
-Keith Tardibuono

Her PLE
     I was pretty impressed with all that this seventh grader had done with her skills of the web. I would argue that her PLE is really outshining my PLN at the moment. I can see that we share many of the same content, but what she is doing with that content is really putting her ahead of the game, and myself. I really liked her interest in the bizarre animals she had on her blogs. I also like how she had all of her "apps" lined up neatly in order. I respect her project and will do my best to have one myself of such status. Great Job Miss.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Keith! Great post and telling your point of views! I agree with you about the networked student not needing a teacher. I also agree that all students need socializing, whether it be face to face or on the internet. But I do think we need interaction with our peers and educators at some point. That is just life and our skills we need to strengthen as a person. I was also impressed with the seventh grader! She was so knowledgeable about her PLE and had everything so organized. It motivated me to make mine organized as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith,
    First, you are an intelligent and creative writer. I saw few grammatical errors and thought your post was fluent and well written. I would like to point out that, with your assertion that a student doesn't really need a teacher, what makes you want to be one? I guess what would have been possibly more relevant is to have pointed out what you, as a teacher, would do without technology if you hold the belief that a student can succeed with "persistence, motivation, and a good personality" alone, in a world filled with it. I believe you missed the point she was trying to make, which is that students today are learning best with technology because they are digital learners, and if we do not embrace the technology that draws them in and facilitates their learning styles, our jobs will become obsolete. She does not advocate social media over social interaction, but points out that internet resources accomplish a lot for the classroom. Educators have to be willing to fit their methods to their students or their jobs will become unneeded and no longer helpful. Don't be a Mr. Winkle!
    Also, you did not do the Special Assignment on Thomas Suarez' TED Talk. This shows a 12-year-old boy with persistence, motivation, and a good personality who is able to interact well socially, and who has also used the technology available to him to create his own apps. He says that students know more about technology than teachers, which seems to be epidemic. Just think what some students like this young man could do with teachers who believed in technology, and were able to become the things you listed above that Wendy Drexler also mentioned in her video. Even if you don't go back and write on it, it might be helpful to watch.
    Keep up the good work,
    Carly

    ReplyDelete