Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Blog Post #6

Randy  Randy Randy.

     I am sure that Randy will be missed by  family and friends, they should be very grateful they were given a man like him to be part of their lives. Although this was a rather long video, I must say that I did appreciate the thoughts and stories that came from Randy and his life. He first spoke on dreams. I love the fact that he helped out on the Aladdin ride at Disney world, I am a huge Disney fan and  got to go behind the scenes of the park  when I was a senior in high school.  I also share a dream like that which involves working at Disney for a summer. Along with that dream I too wanted to play a professional sport. My dream was soccer, however, I tore my knee  last year and  since the surgery I have never really felt the same. From this  particular dream I can understand what Randy meant when he said the dreams we don't make happen are the ones we learn the most from. As a teacher I want to help my students succeed in their own dreams. As a teacher I will do my absolute best to find out my students dreams and goals and push them in the right path to completing them.
    The sky is the limit. This is how I felt after hearing  Randy talk. He is  point on when he says to not allow the students to be limited. People want to  impress, I would strongly argue that it is one of the best motivators around. So as a teacher we can not set a bar for our students, we must set a goal and then aim to go  above and beyond. Kids will surprise even the most experienced and wise of teachers. When this event does occur, the smiles and joy it causes are great. "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will  land among the stars" -Brian Litrell
    I agree with Randy and his view on teaching the students through fun and exciting methods. Teach them without the feeling of HAVING to learn. In the classroom I may take the kids outside to the basketball court and discuss angles. The kids would love to be  out in the sun and playing ball, while secretly learning skills needed outside the classroom. If we can teach kids through having fun, the world just may turn out alright.
     When Randy says, "If your kids want to paint their room, let them" I smiled very big. My girlfriend and I painted our room the other year and  it turned out fantastical, and now we have a memory and evidence of that memory for a long time. We learn through experiences. These experiences are a major part of learning for our kids and future students. Stories from the past, adventures from our lives, and lessons learned can all make great learning material in the classroom. We must help our students grow and mature in the right way. This can easily be done by remembering our past and leaving a clear bright path for them to follow, or at least a neatly trimmed one. Thank You Randy for your life and beliefs.

2 comments:

  1. I had a moment that made me smile when reading your blog post and that was when I read the quote from Brian Litrell. Although I have no idea who that is, I have heard and used that quote before.
    Also, the quote, "If your kids want to paint their room, let them," also struck me. Time and time again I find myself being so annal about things getting done the way that I want them done that I often take away from my 3 year old's creativity. For example, Isabella (my 3 year old) and I were making a stone for my husband James' garden for Father's Day. While we were putting the decorations on the stone I kept doing it or telling her where to put them so that it looked balanced and symmetrical. I should have just let her do it how she imagined it in her mind. It would have been alright. Oh well, next time.
    I agree with you that stories from the past, adventures from our lives, and lessons learned add up to equal a winning combo within a classroom learning environment.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Allow me to get a bit annal and say that you have got to work on your sentence structure and punctuation! :)
    So much for creativity, eh?
    Good luck with the rest of the class!
    Brittany Collins DeFalco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paint the room. Write on the walls. Enjoy.

    Well done. Thoughtful

    ReplyDelete